Re: [IMP-users] Windows build

Below is the list of things that I fixed in the current code (you can check my fork for details: https://github.com/andreyto/imp-fork-proddl/tree/feature/vsbuild).

These were causing C++ syntax errors on Windows. Looking at those, it appears that things currently get committed into the 'develop' before they are checked for being able to compile on Windows natively. Is that a policy matter?

I am more or less happy with what gets compiled and tested for me in my branch as of today. It would be nice if Windows native build was maintained for the 'develop'.
It also took some effort to setup the layout of the dependencies, removing library prefixes and suffixes etc, but finally they worked. I have added some of the defines that you advised, and then also had to use include_directories() and link_directories() in a toolchain file (setting CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH was not helping).

Thanks,

Andrey

----------------

Symlink: modules/multifit/dependency/FFTW3.description

LOG4CXX_STR() macros had to be used on char* arguments to a couple of methods (Windows build of LOG4CXX has wide character type by default for logchar)

ann.h in algebra had automatic array with dimension initialized from non-constant variable (should not this fail on Linux too? this is a clear cut C++ error)

AVRO_SOURCE had to be defined in order to have correct dllexport instead of dllimport on Windows

Added missing definitions of partial template specializations for SWIG plus fixed dllexport/dllimport mismatch

setup_environment.bat needs Release (or Debug) appended to paths after "bin" and "lib" (that one I did not fix in the code)

-----------------------

Things I could not solve:

66 targets were skipped.

12 targets failed with the following error message. For that I have no clue how to solve. Maybe it is caused by some string variable length exceeding some internal limit compiled into VSBuild? If your PATH, for example, is shorter, you might never see this error.

Build started 3/31/2013 1:18:15 AM.

    1>Project "C:\proddl\imp_build\modules\rmf\pyext\_IMP_rmf.vcxproj" on node 4 (build target(s)).

    1>InitializeBuildStatus:

        Creating "_IMP_rmf.dir\Release\_IMP_rmf.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.

    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018: The "CustomBuild" task failed unexpectedly.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018: System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.CPPTasks.CustomBuild.GetInputs(ITaskItem item)

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.CPPTasks.CustomBuild.BuildExecutionGraph()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.CPPTasks.CustomBuild.GenerateCommandLineCommands()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.Utilities.ToolTask.Execute()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.CPPTasks.TrackedVCToolTask.Execute()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error MSB4018:    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(ITaskExecutionHost taskExecutionHost, TaskLoggingContext taskLoggingContext, TaskHost taskHost, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Boolean& taskResult)

    1>Done Building Project "C:\proddl\imp_build\modules\rmf\pyext\_IMP_rmf.vcxproj" (build target(s)) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.11

Googling for the keywords brings a few similar cases, but they do not help:

http://fatalweb.com/question/swig-visual-studio-2010-python-and-c-11673199.html

https://pureimage.flll.jku.at/issues/113