Re: [IMP-users] svn revision number

On 10/5/12 8:36 AM, Daniel Russel wrote:
On Oct 5, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Ben Webb <> wrote:
The SVN revision number didn't really tell you anything useful,
since it doesn't reflect any changes you've made to your checkout.
Well, it did (since it would have an M appended if you had changed
anything, which was pretty nice).

Perhaps I should have been more clear: it doesn't tell you anything about the nature of the change.

So as a question for people, what info would you find useful to
show? - checkout date - nearest nightly test version - presence or
absence of changes - git/svn version

I doubt there's one answer that everybody would be happy with, which is why I suggested 'write a string you're happy with to VERSION'. It can be as simple as "svnversion > VERSION" if people like the revision number.

IIRC you already set up nightly branches for git, so when we switch to git it would make sense to encourage people to use those, which would also address this issue.