Re: [IMP-users] svn revision number

On Oct 5, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Ben Webb <> wrote:

> On 10/5/12 12:24 AM, Benjamin SCHWARZ wrote:
>> I remember the good old times, when I could see the svn revision number for free.
>> Is it hidden somewhere else nowadays ?
>
> The SVN revision number didn't really tell you anything useful, since it doesn't reflect any changes you've made to your checkout.
Well, it did (since it would have an M appended if you had changed anything, which was pretty nice).

> If you want to keep track of your own checkouts, just put some suitable string in the VERSION file before you compile.

We dropped displaying the SVN revision because
- there was a bug with it that needed to be fixed
- it wasn't going to be useful once we shifted to git (planned to occur in the not to distant future)
- the first operation after seeing the svn version number was always to look up what date that corresponded to.

As a result, we had shifted to displaying the date that the copy was checked out (by storing the current date in the repository). For some reason that isn't working right now.

So as a question for people, what info would you find useful to show?
- checkout date
- nearest nightly test version
- presence or absence of changes
- git/svn version