Re: [IMP-users] a remark concerning chains in a hierarchy returned by read_pdb

My guess is that they are not listed consecutively in the pdb file. That is, in the PDB it is
Protein A
Protein B
Zinc A
Zinc B
It would be easy enough to modify the pdb reader to merge chains as they are encountered if that seems appropriate.

However, in general, I would suggest using an IMP.atom.Selection for navigating the hierarchy. If you do that it won't make much difference whether there are two separate chain particles or one. That said, not all bits of IMP work naturally with the Selection model.