Re: [IMP-users] Problem with IMP.core.TransformationSymmetry

You mean that randomly rigid bodies defined on copies are randomly rotated for a single frame, am I right?
I think we saw that issue already.

Yes!

> But Riccardo, we still have problems sometimes with rigid bodies created using dof not following symmetry in some frames

You mean that randomly rigid bodies defined on copies are randomly rotated for a single frame, am I right?
I think we saw that issue already.

Hi Riccardo,

Ah, ok, I missed that IMP.atom.create_rigid_body actually has a fix for this since 2007. That explains why in our modellings, when we use dof, the problem has not been so big, it’s quire relieving. But Riccardo, we still have problems sometimes with rigid bodies created using dof not following symmetry in some frames, that is why I am investigating. But the problem apparently must be somewhere else, as your PMI fix works (tested with an example below). I will build on the below example to try to reproduce our problem and get back to you.

And, I would keep your PMI fix rather than create_compatible_rigid_body. The create_compatible_rigid_body runs get_transformation_aligning_first_to_second so it seems to be more computationally costly, am I correct Ben?.

Ben, re your comment:
And, actually why the reference frames of the same structure read
twice cannot be guaranteed to be the same?

Something will be ever so slightly different somewhere due to the semi-magical nature of modern CPUs reordering the floating-point operations, speculative prediction, or caching of intermediate results, I expect.

I could imagine things could be slightly different but here the rb rotations are not different only slightly but rather looking like the reference frames were arbitrary. Maybe the create_rigid_body function could use the PMI fix internally?

Best,
Jan

The example using PMI fix:
import IMP
import IMP.core
import IMP.atom
import IMP.container
import IMP.rmf
import RMF
import sys

IMP.setup_from_argv(sys.argv, "rigid bodies")

for out_id in range(20):
    m = IMP.Model()
    rbs = []
    hs = []
    for i in range(4):
        mp1 = IMP.atom.read_pdb(IMP.core.get_example_path('example_protein.pdb'), m)
        chains = IMP.atom.get_by_type(mp1, IMP.atom.CHAIN_TYPE)
        c = IMP.atom.Hierarchy(chains[0])

        com=IMP.atom.CenterOfMass.setup_particle(IMP.Particle(m),IMP.atom.get_leaves(c))
        comcoor=IMP.core.XYZ(com).get_coordinates()
        tr=IMP.algebra.Transformation3D(IMP.algebra.get_identity_rotation_3d(),comcoor)
        rf = IMP.algebra.ReferenceFrame3D(tr)
        rbp=IMP.Particle(m)
        rb=IMP.core.RigidBody.setup_particle(rbp,rf)
        for h in IMP.atom.get_leaves(c):
            rb.add_member(h.get_particle())

        rbs.append(rb)
        hs.append(c)

    for i, rb in enumerate(rbs[1:]):
        # the other 3 particles are all symmetric copies of the first
        IMP.core.Reference.setup_particle(rb, rbs[0])
        # the symmetry operation is rotation around the z axis
        tr = IMP.algebra.Transformation3D(
            IMP.algebra.get_rotation_about_axis(IMP.algebra.get_basis_vector_3d(2),
                                                2 * 3.14 / len(rbs) * (i + 1)),
            IMP.algebra.Vector3D(0, 0, 0))
        sm = IMP.core.TransformationSymmetry(tr)
        c = IMP.core.SingletonConstraint(sm, None, m, rb)
        m.add_score_state(c)

    m.update()
    modelrmf = RMF.create_rmf_file('model{0}.rmf'.format(out_id))
    IMP.rmf.add_hierarchies(modelrmf, hs)
    IMP.rmf.save_frame(modelrmf)

Hi guys,

indeed we fixed pmi, because we were aware of this issues:

From what I recall, it works fine.
but that fix can be substituted with create_compatible_rigid_body,
which it is doing the same thing, at least it looks like to me.

Apologies for the delay - I was on "vacation" (or the best 2020
approximation of one) last week.

On 11/24/20 11:37 AM, Jan Kosinski wrote:
> But if one uses the nice DegreesOfFreedom class to create rigid
> bodies via DegreesOfFreedom.create_rigid_body function, it won’t be
> possible to use this fix - the DegreesOfFreedom.create_rigid_body
> function uses IMP.atom.create_rigid_body and does not allow to
> optionally use IMP.atom.create_compatible_rigid_body.

I just looked at the code, and it looks like the PMI folks were already
aware of this issue, so it *should* work fine:
https://github.com/salilab/pmi/blob/develop/pyext/src/dof/__init__.py#L152-L163

If it doesn't, likely this is a different problem and you should open an
issue at https://github.com/salilab/pmi/issues

" target="_blank" class="">                      https://salilab.org/~ben/