Re: [IMP-dev] Policy for versions of IMP dependencies

> It's just that flawed backward compatibility is usually not due to amazing technological breakthroughs we cannot live with out, but probably due to some package changing the name of function X to function Y, or a few #include statements that need to be altered...
I think there is some of both. Switching to support things like auto would be huge simplification of various things. But other places it is just removing a second, rarely used, code path that we have to maintain. Or removing part of IMP that only works on some of the supported systems.