Re: [IMP-dev] Necessity of comprehensive documentation

A few more comments:
First, the documentation is getting fleshed out as requested. So any requests, comments are appreciated. Of course, the more specific the better. And even better if they are added to the bug tracker.

Also, the search engine built into the docs kind of sucks, but is still the best way of finding things. I would propose that we make the docs world readable, so we can then use google to search them.

Better overview documentation is definitely needed. The current source for an overview is the Introduction page, but that is somewhat minimal as it was written for a presentation (and lacks any graphics). So do people have thoughts on how to provide a better overview of IMP? One thing that would be nice would be a diagram for a typical setup showing when restraints and score states and things are evaluated.

The plan has been to have some larger examples taken from people's work to give an overview of how to use things, but these have not materialized yet and as a result the examples are still pretty trivial. Pleas for better examples have so far gone unanswered :-) As an added incentive, code added as example code can be inspected by other people and improved and such improvements can be folded back into your code.

Javier Ángel Velázquez Muriel wrote:

Hi everybody,

This days, as I use more and more the IMP API documentation and get more familiar with it, I feel that is extremely simple, rather useless if you don't know about the class you're using and the internal mechanisms, or somebody introduce you to it. Probably it also applies to my small contributions to the package, but I would like to raise my hand as one that would enjoy some effort (and I am willing to take the advice too) from the rest of the developers when documenting.

Thanks
Javi