Re: [IMP-users] Sigmoidal crosslinks in IMP.pmi 2.7.0

On 6/8/17 4:41 PM, Fergal Duffy wrote:
I am using IMP.pmi to model a protein complex using MS crosslinks. I notice that the IMP.pmi crosslinking function, IMP.pmi.restraints.crosslinking.CrossLinkingMassSpectrometryRestraint(), scores crosslinks basically as a linear function of crosslink distance. The crosslink length is basically irrelevant here, shorter=better.

I don't think that's right, although Riccardo would know for sure. The restraint *does* include a linear term, but my understanding is that's intended to gradually pull in residue pairs that far exceed the crosslink length. At shorter distances the scoring is Bayesian, and certainly does use the crosslink length.

Ideally, I would like to score crosslinks as a sigmoid function, with crosslinks inside the specified ‘length’ dropping in score. I notice that there is a deprecated SigmoidCrossLinkMS() function in IMP, which uses an IMP.pmi.SigmoidRestraintSphere to model the crosslinks. Is there a reason this is deprecated? Should I be using it? It seems to offer functionality not available elsewhere.

It's deprecated because the current Bayesian formalism is superior, but there are some older published works that used that restraint (and we want them to still be reproducible). It's probably not a good idea to use it in modern applications.

                      https://salilab.org/~ben/