Re: [IMP-users] getting the MCCGsampler to work

On 7/11/14, 5:12 AM, Josh Bullock wrote:
So I have the same overall problem as before - creating an ensemble of a
4-subunit complex using MSconnectivity restraints. Having visualised the
output (via RMF - thanks Barak :¬) , it's clear that no matter how many
steps of CG or MC I put, the models do not change from their initial
random placement. I know that the restraints are present because the
models are evaluated and scored appropriately.

A sampler that ignores the scoring function would be pretty useless! Obviously MCCG doesn't do that. So my guess would be that you didn't add the restraints to the scoring function, the thresholds are all wrong (so that no MC moves are ever accepted), you have terrible starting conditions (so that the optimizer can never improve the score) or you have a poor choice of MC move set. I don't see you actually adding any Movers to your sampler in the script, so I'd suspect the last one. The underlying MonteCarlo class keeps some statistics (e.g. number of accepted/rejected moves) which might shed some light on what's going on.

So I saw on an old (2011) nup84 example that MCCG can't handle rigid
bodies, is this still the case ?

No. You just need to add a suitable RigidBodyMover.

If so, should I switch to the DOMINO
sampler ?

DOMINO enumerates in a discrete space, so is a rather different kind of optimizer. It is probably not the best choice in your case.