[IMP-users] Binary installation of IMP 1.0 on Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.3 snowleopard

>> By the way, would you be interested in any testimony with regard to IMP installation ? If so, I could open a thread here just for that.
> Of course, please do.
So be it.

The installation in itself was OK, though I found the "Installation successful" messages a bit disconcerting. Maybe you should consider an installation log file or a longer message to tell what exactly was installed, in which directory, and suggest some starting points for beginners.

Concerning the utilization now :
I have two python 2.6 installed on my computer though I do not remember nor why nor how.
The default python (the one that runs when typing "python" on the command line) links to /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python (it claims to be a v2.6.4 compiled with gcc 4.0.1 )
My second python dwells in /usr/bin and claims to be a v2.6.1 compiled with gcc 4.2.1

With the first interpreter, IMP is not automatically found and I have to modify the PYTHONPATH (therefore the localization of IMP in the installation message could be of interest.). When this is done, the package is found but any attempt to use it results in an error :
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/IMP/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
    _IMP = swig_import_helper()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/IMP/__init__.py", line 17, in swig_import_helper
    import _IMP
ImportError: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_IMP.so, 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_IMP.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture

With /usr/bin/python the IMP package is automatically detected, and everything runs fine.

In order to explain the problem observed with the default interpreter, I firstly suspected it had something to do with the gcc version, but now I rather think it is a 32bits/64bits conflict :

> file /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_IMP.so
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_IMP.so: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

> file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O executable ppc
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386

> file /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
/usr/bin/python (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/usr/bin/python (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
/usr/bin/python (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O executable ppc