Re: [IMP-dev] Atom::create

So where do we stand? The key question is what do we want AtomType to mean?

A couple of options:
1)
- we use PDB atom types for AtomType
- AtomType is only guaranteed to be unique when paired with the ResidueType or XXXType of its parent (we need LigandType or something) - code that creates atoms must fill in element for all atoms it creates (so add another argument to the setup_particle function) - we could later add a function that generates a unique atom type by combining the parent type and the atomtype - we don't have to parse the whole dictionary unless we want to get other information about the ligands or to fix broken names

2)
- we generate unique atom types by prefixing the pdb atom types with, for example, the residue name
- AtomType is then globally unique

I would vote for 1 but don't feel too strongly either way. We should probably get input from Hao too.