Re: [IMP-dev] Atom::create

On Aug 7, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Dina Schneidman wrote:

Currently AtomType is more ProteinAtomType (and nucleic acid).
Of course, because that was handled in the original pdb reading code :-)

Having element stored resolves the problem. However, it would be nice
to have less ambiguity in the AtomType as well.
AtomType really needs to be the type of the atom. Otherwise, any code which uses them will have to have all sorts of logic to look at the element, whether it is in a protein etc.

It would be much simpler to put the logic on the edges (ie in code that creates Atoms). From what I understand, the mol2 atom types that Hao is using are compatible with the PDB protein atom types, so we perhaps should standardize on those.

A simpler hack is to just prefix hetatoms with "H" since I'm pretty sure the atom types for ATOM records are all well defined. My guess is that hetatom types in the PDB are a bit of a mess, but perhaps things are better than that :-)