Re: [IMP-dev] measurement units in IMP

Absolutely:

1) Make things explicit, please. Daniel's suggestion is right.
2) And use the International System, please. No paper is accepted if the units are not in the IS, so I don't see any reason not to use them. Other units should be secondary.

Javi

2009/5/14 Ben Webb <">>
Daniel Russel wrote:
> Should we establish an explicit rule in IMP that all distances are in
> angstroms? The range of scales is small enough that we don't have
> accuracy issues for doing this. In addition, we then don't have to worry
> about some things being in nanometers (since we have no way of tagging
> things with units).
>
> Ben already established a convention of having units if kCal/MolAngstrom
> for derivative quantities. So angstroms fits with that.

I see no reason to force people to use any particular unit, if they
really wanted to measure everything in some ridiculous unit like yards
(I apologize on behalf of the English for saddling the US with the
Imperial system). But it makes sense for it to be explicit that by
default we deal in angstroms, rather than implicit as it is now.

">                      http://salilab.org/~ben/