Re: [IMP-dev] thoughts on the reorg

Ben Webb wrote:
Daniel Russel wrote:
So to make the next iteration of the proposal:
1) the IMP kernel module is simplified to contain only the IMP kernel proper which is basically some subset of IMP/*.h, perhaps without decoratorbase and ParticleRefiner.

That makes sense, but not until dependent projects are in the build system, because obviously they would need to be updated.
Well, people can update their own or not update svn for a while. I would rather not wait too long as we will have another diverged mess to clean up.
There are two separate modules here: misc and core. misc is for stuff
that doesn't fit anywhere else (e.g. ParticleRefiner) and can be very open, even today. Other stuff that is relied upon by others will move from the kernel into core (e.g. nonbonded lists). But that won't happen today - it needs to wait for the dependent projects to be updated. By its very nature, it should also be less open than misc.
Again, I don't see any point to doing that. You don't buy anything and you add a hassle when you decide that something should move from misc to core.

Further, that doesn't really buy us anything over the current mess other than slightly faster compilation times and creates a great deal of work.