Re: [IMP-dev] thoughts on the reorg

Daniel Russel wrote:
I proposed creating the 'unstable' module to deal with (1).
I really don't see the point of that. Two things:
- first, the traditional approach is to have stable and unstable branches in SVN. The advantage of this is that we don't have to change all the calls (by changing or removing the module) if we want to move stuff from one place to another.

An SVN branch is just a directory anyway. And I'd rather not branch all of IMP.

- second, given the structure of IMP, there is no reason to put unstable and stable classes in different directories.

Perhaps we should not call this module 'unstable', because you seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick here; perhaps 'misc' is a better name. The intention is for it to be used for kernel additions that don't happily sit anywhere else. Because the access is more open, it is likely that people will put in unstable, untested code, but I certainly don't think we should encourage that.

As for the kernel, clearly there is a need for guidelines for what lives in there.
I propose that the kernel is the IMP/*.h only. After all, that is the kernel... Everything else is optional.

Well, that's the obvious definition, but it could be argued that that's too inclusive. For example, ParticleRefiner.h probably doesn't need to be in there.