Re: [IMP-dev] IO support with boost

Daniel Russel wrote:
XML file. This makes it pretty useless in terms of human readability.
Useful?
Well, I didn't quite mean useful, but actually, I didn't really mean for the sentence to be there. I think direct XML dump of the objects is a bad way to do a human editable file format since it makes it very hard (to impossible) to ensure invariants such as the hierarchies being right, bonds being right etc.

I agree - it wasn't clear to me from your original email though! Just wanted to clarify that.

Just out of curiousity, what platforms require work to get boost working (no rpms or prebuild installs)? Or is it just a matter on having not yet installed macports or the full boost binaries on something?

I think it's just our Suns and the Windows builds.

We should probably start assembling such instructions with the installation instructions (for example where to get macports or fink for macs).

It's certainly straightforward to insert such instructions into the relevant section of the manual.