Re: [IMP-dev] IO support with boost

Daniel Russel wrote:
I was just checking out the boost serialization library. It looks like the simplest way to get code to save and restore the model state.

I agree - I looked at this a few weeks ago and it does look very suitable for our needs.

It also supports XML io, so you can relatively easily generate an
XML file. This makes it pretty useless in terms of human readability.

Useful?

The only problem with Boost serialization is that it's one of the few Boost libraries that is not header-only. So if you are planning to write any serialization code, a request: please just implement it for a class or two and send a patch, rather than hitting every class in IMP with it. Several of our build machines only have the Boost headers, so I have to get the shared libraries to build on them first before I can put such a patch in. I'd like to make sure everything works everywhere before we get too carried away.