Re: [IMP-dev] weight decorator

On Jan 22, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Daniel Russel wrote:
On Jan 22, 2010, at 11:13 PM, Keren Lasker wrote:

just because it in not necessarily the exact molecular mass,
Ahh, you mean weight as in "an arbitrary weight assigned to things" which has nothing at all to do with mass? :-) What other functionality would be associated with it other than getting or setting an arbitrary floating point attribute? I suspect any more functionality will vary between applications of the weight. So it may make sense to have it close to the use point eg have a  WeightDecorator in em which is used by the FitRestraint (and defaults to Mass as the key). Not sure.
Another set of places it could conceivably be used is to provide weights when computing centroids and such in core. But, in that context, only a weighted point (not a weighted ball) makes sense.

On a tangentially related note, physical rigid bodies (with inertia) should use the mass decorator (in core), which can't currently be done as the decorator is in atom.

and it you use it you need to handle two decorators one for XYZR and one for mass, it is easier to have a joint decorator - no ?
It's not that much easier :-) Either writing Weight(p).get_weight() or have a weight decorator.
Forgot to pass the key, so it would have to be Weight(p, weight_key).get_weight(), which is little more verbose :-)