Re: [IMP-dev] Multichain proteins

2009/10/8 Dina Schneidman <">>
Protein is more than a chain. Chain corresponds to tertiary structure.
Protein's quaternary structure can have more than one chain!
A classic example is hemoglobin, 4 chains. Another classics is
antibody, 2 chains.
So we need chains around! and also how can we add bonds without
chains? do you plan to connect them together?

Perhaps not the best source, but wikipedia says:

In biochemistry, quaternary structure is the arrangement of multiple folded protein molecules in a multi-subunit complex.

1 protein = 1 chain.
more chains = complex.

and let me put two more cents:
PDB format does not define any hierarchy. it is a set of atoms. if we
want to build an hierarchy out of PDB it should clearly follow from
the format. So the best way is to have 4 levels that are well defined
by the corresponding PDB fields:
Atom, Residue, Chain, Root
I think all other assumptions are only assumptions and a good source for bugs.

The problem is that root is not well defined either. We can agree on how to define it, but please please please avoid the name UNIVERSE. Otherwise I'm going to decorate all my universes with decorators called God.