Re: [IMP-dev] Failure rate of restraints

Just as a clarification, the point is not to have a be all and end all solution, it is to provide a more reasonable starting point and make it clear that there is a scaling issue. In addition, establishing a convention about how the error scales with the number of atoms means that the scaling will have to be changed less after modifications to the representation (local optimization, rather than a global one :-)

The fact that some restraints types (especially ones which are not near a minimum of the restraint at the minimum of the whole function) are difficult isn't really relevant IF some restraints are easy. We can provide functions/guidelines to handle the easy cases serving the dual purpose of automating what can be automated and providing a reminder of what cannot. And, what is easy for us, is not necessarily easy for others. Whether some are easy outside of diameter and excluded volume is still under contention though :-)