Re: [IMP-dev] Towards the IMP release

On Apr 9, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Ben Webb wrote:

Dina Schneidman wrote:
regarding "complicated projects", I think what we mean is having a
"black box" program or a script, that can be used by any user.
The input data should come from the user. We can have some sample
input data as an example.
I have a couple of programs for saxs data and we should put there more
for other data types.
it could be nice to combine them. I think for this purpose we should
have some common
mechanism for reading user input parameters.

Sounds reasonable, although we should be careful to avoid too many
special-purpose applications - the principal aim of IMP after all is to
allow things to be easily mixed and matched.
I think the key thing here is that the applications be made from IMP components and the code in the applications only do things like selecting the correct restraints and optimization protocols and managing data. Then they can both be useful and show off the rest of the IMP code.