Re: [IMP-dev] Simplified SConscripts in core, misc

Daniel Russel wrote:
> I've been using a simplified set of SConscripts for the search module
> which simply uses all .h's in include/ and include/*/ and all .cpps in
> src and src/*/ rather than just a specified list. The removes the need
> to run the make-sconscript script when you add headers. Unless anyone
> objects I'll change the core scripts to do this. And then there will be
> one less thing to keep in sync :-)

I will object, for the same reason as last time you suggested this: it
makes the builds non-reproducable. For example, this change will
probably not affect you or me, but I am pretty sure that if implemented,
IMP will fail to build for Javi and possibly SJ. Many people put
temporary files or other files not part of the build system in the same
directory as the rest of the code - that's part of the reason why all
build systems ask you to list your files that you want to build. We will
forever be getting bug reports from people, particularly once we release
the code, citing bizarre compilation failures, which will be tracked
down to some random non-IMP file they have in their checkout somewhere.
Is it really that hard to update the list of files when you add or
remove one?

P.S. The "simplified" SConscripts look more complex to me, and because
they don't use SCons mechanisms (e.g. Glob) they are fragile - for
example they won't work if we use a build_dir.