Re: [IMP-dev] NBL cleanup and other small patches

On Apr 26, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Ben Webb wrote:

Daniel Russel wrote:
On Apr 26, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Ben Webb wrote:
I don't think we can use CGAL. It is certainly available for Fedora,
but
we build on a lot of other platforms too.
It is tested on quite a variety of platforms. More than IMP, but I
have not checked if it is a superset or not.

Indeed, but I think you missed my point: in order for us to test IMP
with CGAL on all the platforms we build on, somebody (i.e. me) has to
install CGAL on those platforms. I'm reluctant to do that unless we
really need it. What do others think? Does anybody need CGAL for
anything else? Requiring it just for a nonbonded list seems overkill.
In general, building a third party library on a few platforms is way easier than supporting and optimizing a large chunk of code.

I think we should use external code as much as we possibly can and given an external library which does what we want and is widely supported, we should not hesitate to use code from it.