Re: [IMP-dev] Harmonic cleanup

Friedrich Foerster wrote:
sorry for my ignorance of this discussion for a while.
i presume most people will want to use imp in a probabilistic framework rather than doing simulations with physical form-fields.

Who knows? But we should allow for both.

philosophically, i agree with with daniel that the name 'Harmonic' requires a spring constant.

Yes, you are a bit late here - we changed that ages ago!

to make everybody happy, i would propose a new name for functions that call the harmonic functions, but have spatial parameters as an input. for example LogGauss, LogUpperDistanceGauss or whatever you agree with.

Agreed - it's straightforward to introduce new unary functions. We can just stick them in as and when necessary.

i think the current workaround, i.e. introducing scaling parameters through the back-door, is a bit unsatisfactory and will confuse most users.

I didn't realize that's what you were using scaling of restraints for, but I don't think that was ever their intended purpose. Scaling has been very useful for people tweaking their scoring functions - and I don't see that going away - but for your purposes it certainly sounds like new unary functions are a better bet.