Re: [IMP-dev] unary function checks

Daniel Russel wrote:
On Mar 27, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Ben Webb wrote:
The existing checks are for analytic derivatives. If you also want to
check numerical derivatives, that would certainly make sense.
I assume you mean the existing checks are "analytic checks of derivatives" and "check derivatives numerically", right? How the derivative is evaluated internally doesn't really matter for how we do the checking.

The Python code defines the function and its derivative analytically. Of course it has no bearing on how the C++ code defines the function. Yes, we could write Python code to calculate numerical derivatives, but this seems unnecessary to me because I know that the derivative of x^3 is 3x^2 and so can just write that in the Python code. That's what's done in the existing patch.