Re: [IMP-dev] Proposal: replace BasicScoreFuncParams with PairPotential

Daniel Russel wrote:
Well, it is not a potential, it generates scoring function terms. Perhaps something like ScoreFunctionCreator would be better.

I said you'd hate it. ;) But no matter. On closer inspection I suspect it wouldn't work anyway without rather close coupling to the restraints (e.g. ProximityRestraint). The clone & translate approach we discussed before is probably more applicable to Bret's restraints.

More substantially, it is not clear to me that we shouldn't have it directly evaluate the score from the particles and skip the function object creation. Creating the ScoreFunc doesn't cache anything useful and just adds another layer of indirection. Internally they can use ScoreFuncs if they want.

I'm not sure what you mean here - could you expand a little? It seems to me that they wouldn't be able to "directly evaluate the score from the particles" because that's the restraint's job. And a harmonic scoring function shouldn't care about the particles anyway - it could be acting on a distance (two particles), a dihedral (four particles) etc. But perhaps I'm missing part of your idea here.