Re: [IMP-dev] Accelerating restraint evaluation

On 6/24/11 12:29 PM, Daniel Russel wrote:
We have been discussing ideas for accelerating the evaluation of
certain restraints, particularly excluded volume and
connectivity-based ones, by taking advantage of the fact that you
often don't care how bad things are once they are sufficiently bad.
To be more concrete, the idea is to add a function
Model::evaluate_if_ok(Restraints, Weights)

Sounds reasonable to me. Presumably this method would not request derivatives from the restraints though, since I don't know how you'd return derivatives for your "bad" score. That would limit your proposal to optimizers that don't use first derivatives, but I guess that's not such a big deal.