Re: [IMP-dev] imp versioning

On 1/6/11 2:45 PM, Daniel Russel wrote:
It seems to me it might make sense to drop the idea of having
releases with conventional version numbers (eg 1.0, 1.1) and simply
use the svn version numbers for everything (releases as well as svn
checkouts).

That doesn't make a lot of sense since SVN revisions increase strictly chronologically and so would be essentially meaningless with branches. This precludes, for example, a 1.0.1 bugfix release for users that don't want to break everything by upgrading to 1.1 or 2.0. Release numbers are, after all, a helpful shorthand precisely so users don't have to memorize revision numbers (which are are also tied to the revision control system, of course, so would go out the window if we switched to git or Mercurial). Some of these other systems have even less memorable revision "numbers" - a typical git revision "number" is "7950659dc9ef7f2b50b18010622299c508bfdfc3", for example.