Re: [IMP-dev] [IMP-commits] r4751 - trunk/modules/restrainer/examples

On 02/10/2010 11:13 AM, Elina Tjioe wrote:
I noticed that during the build time we are running not only unit tests
but also examples.

Indeed, since we need to test the examples to make sure they work.

This causes problems with paths to input data files
and forces each example to use complicated logic to calculate paths.

True, particularly in Restrainer's case where you have paths embedded in your XML files - you can't use get_example_path() there.

Would it be a good idea to
modify the build process to run examples from their respective
directories? This way all examples can use the relative paths and if a
user wishes to run an example, he/she can just cd to the example
directory and run it directly from there.

Yes, I agree - for running examples during the build, it should be straightforward enough to have the build system cd into build/doc/examples to run the example. That also ensures that any outputs generated by the example don't end up littering the source tree.

If a user wants to run an example manually, he/she can cd into the directory containing it.