Re: [IMP-dev] too many rotations in IMP

On May 4, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Javier Ángel Velázquez Muriel wrote:

1) I found problems with Rotation3D when designing project(). I coundn't make it work as I needed it. Hence the matrices.
If there are problems/limitations with Rotation3D, we should fix them rather than add a new class.

2) EulerAnglesZYZ is a way of enforce the ZYZ convention when using EulerMatrixZYZ. Just a nice way of constructing a EulerMatrixZYZ whitout passing a Vector3D, as you suggested with SphericalCoords.
We already have constructing a Rotation3D from your choice of Euler angles (and you can get a matrix from that if you want). So there isn't much reason to be passing them around at all.

I definitively need the code.
Sure, the question is more whether it should be part of the API or in an internal header or .cpp file where it is used. So far I don't see anything that justifies creating an alternative rotation passing convention (which would require lots of functions to be eventually duplicated to support both).