Re: [IMP-dev] how can you retrieve the atom index from AtomDecorator ?

True, but this will get screwed up on writing anyway as all the atoms need to have distinct ids in the written pdb. Or am I misunderstanding your scenario?
yes - I was thinking of writing only mol2, by giving the Particle that represents mol2 ( regardless to mol1) - so the ids should be ok.

I guess I would propose having a "source_pdb_index" attribute (or something similar) in atoms, but that it always gets ignored on writing (since either it is already correct, in which case you might as well ignore it, or it is incorrect, in which case you have to ignore it).
would be useful for the scenario above I think
SVN now contains a version which does this (AtomDecorator::get_input_index()). Not really tested (other than it compiles and the tests pass).