Re: [IMP-dev] patch to the patch process

sounds very good.

On Dec 12, 2008, at 4:54 AM, Daniel Russel wrote:

I suggest we change the process for submitting patches to the following:
- have a directory writable by everyone such as IMP/patch
- to submit a patch, foo, check in trunk/patch/foo.patch and truck/ patch/foo.readme with the patch and a description, respectively
- send a short email to imp-dev
- when Ben commits the patch, he removes the files from SVN

The advantage of this system is:
- it is easy to see keep track of what patches have been submitted but not committed. - it is easy to update patches that have been submitted but not yet committed - it is easy to apply patches that have not yet been committed to your copy of IMP, so is is less problematic when patches don't get committed for a long time.
- no more having to get files to your email
- all the submitted patches are listed in one place for ben to see
- the submitted doesn't have to manually clean how his records of the patch when Ben submits it.

Anyone have improvements? I'll try out such a system with my next patch.