Re: [IMP-dev] Request to simplify IMP config

On Nov 26, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Ben Webb wrote:

Daniel Russel wrote:
There is already a perfectly good delimiter for paths. It is ':' on Unix
systems and ';' on Windows.
Agreed. Colon used to be the MacOS directory delimiter, so I was unsure of its status on macs. I That was my only concern. But it looks moot.

Otherwise, your patch sounds reasonable to me - except perhaps for the
rpath stuff on non-Mac systems, which is rather controversial on Linux
systems and will not work at all on Windows or many other Unixes - and I
will commit it once a) the nightly builds are fixed and b) I have time
to review it and check out the rpath stuff. (Unless others have
comments, of course.)
I agree that it is a bit controversial, but everything I have read prefers it to using LD_LIBRARY_PATH (since that, among other ill effects, changes the behavior of 3rd party libraries). I don't know how dynamic link paths are handled on Windows and no one seems to use it around here. There used to be some equivalent of rpath, I seem to recall, but that was years ago that I last did windows programming. How do things currently work on windows anyway (since we can't count on csh being around)?

I'm not sure how your solution would avoid that since the Modeller run
scripts obviously have to add the Modeller library directories to the
dynamic library path (and just like IMP, they try to do that by
prepending rather than appending).
Yeah, it is still I mess. I retract my supposition :-)