Re: [IMP-dev] Particle removal and deactivation

What would you want to do with inactivating particles as opposed to
deleting them?
__
a particle might not take part in a specific stage of optimization - but it is still relevant for the next steps.
You can always just leave it out of the restraints (or remove it from the restraints). What I do is
- first create all the restraints, but leave their list of particles blank
- then create some data structure which encodes all of my active particles and the relationships between them (in my case, it is just a bunch of lists of particles) - set the particles used by each restraint as appropriate for what I am optimizing now

If I change what I want to use, I just modify my lists and rerun the last function.

Now that I think about it, I think this sort of architecture is a better alternative to trying to stick metadata into the restraints.