Re: [IMP-dev] [Fwd: PDB lib]

I think Ben and I have a disagreement about the significance of picking a PDB reader at this point. As I see it, any PDB reading should be hidden behind some very general interface (I have a proposal using the MolecularHierarchyDecorator). As a result, the code doing the actually reading doesn't matter too much and so we shouldn't worry now about whether we have the perfect solution. We should pick something easy which does what we want and minimizes the amount of effort people have to make.

When someone needs something more, we can either modify our current solution or chuck it and write an adaptor to someone else's code. Writing these adaptors is trivial given a backend which supports all we want.

I picked my pdb reader since it is small and so can be stuck in the with rest of imp so that no one has to worry about installing external libraries and it does what I want, namely give me a hierarchy for proteins and a bond information.

The alternatives I have looked at so far are

BALL- probably dead although it took a breath this morning

the one Frido sent- I don't see how to get bonds out of it, but otherwise fine. The documentation really sucks, so I might be missing something.

a few random other C and C++ ones all of which are either embedded in a large library, suck, don't give me bonds etc.

One area I haven't looked is the in python only readers. There may be some good ones there.

If it's an external library, it should be a dependency, not part of IMP.
It depends. Having obscure external dependencies is a good way to piss off people who have to install your software. It is a tradeoff. I would say that we shouldn't depend on anything not in fedora or fedora-extras for something basic like this.

Hao's project absolutely requires HETATMs, for example. And I
don't share your concern for runtime checks, since PDB reading is not
performance-critical.
My concern on checks was not for efficiency, it was for correctness. Depending on strings is poor as capitalization or abbreviation errors don't easily get caught.